The fun part? They met at my SIL's wedding, I know both the bride and groom, they're grandparents to teenagers, and their love has taken 10+ years off of them. I have honestly never seen two people so in love! I was touched to be invited to their wedding last weekend :)
My husband's family hosted a dinner for 50 the night before the wedding, and they asked me to do the desserts! Over the next few days, I'll share what I made.
First up, raspberry lemonade cupcakes!
I know you won't believe it, but these were actually pretty darn easy. I'm not a great baker, so I like to start with a box mix and get creative from there. My scratch cakes tend to be disasters!
- 1 box lemon cake mix
- Eggs (do what it says on the box)
- Oil (do what it says on the box)
- Water (do what it says on the box)
- 1 T lemon extract
- 1 c unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 3 c confectioners sugar
- 2 T milk
- 1 T raspberry extract
- 4 drops red food coloring
- 1 small box fresh raspberries
- Icing bag
- 1M star tip
- Mix together the cake mix, eggs, oil, and water just like it says on the box.
- Add lemon extract and mix into batter
- Fill cups and bake cupcakes exactly like it says on the box
- Let them cool
- Cream butter, milk, raspberry extract, and food coloring
- Add confectioners sugar and whip until smooth
- Add more sugar or milk if needed to get desired consistency
- Using a large star tip on an icing bag, make swirls on top of cupcakes (I go from the outer edge to the center)
- Top with a fresh raspberry
- Serve on a pretty tray with a pretty label (it's all about the presentation!)
This recipe made about 12 regular and 24 mini cupcakes, and took about an hour of time in total (but I had to wash lots of dishes in between).
Aren't these beautiful? The mini cupcakes were a huge hit! Since I had three flavors of cupcakes, folks wanted to try them all, but not in full size. That, and the frosting-to-cake ratio is much better on mini cupcakes.