While the glue was still wet on this project, I started writing this post...
The garden suffered a casualty over the winter: an oak-leaf
hydrangea just couldn't stand up to the daily pee barrage of Lucky dog.
Honestly, I don't think any plant could.
We discussed asking
the city for a fire hydrant, but decided that a statue or a planter
would probably be more practical. I've been shopping around for a
while, but everything I like is in the $100 range, which seems a little
steep for a doggie pee-spot!
Then I saw it on Pinterest - a
planter made from stepping stones! It would be cheap, easy, and durable
- just my kind of project.
I was up at the hardware store that
same night to buy all my goodies. I got five 16" concrete step stones, a
tube of Liquid Nails, a bag of potting mix, and an orange begonia, for a total of about $30 (and I
still have soil and glue leftover!).
the planter went super fast - like under 10 minutes fast. I balanced
the step stones on their sides, ran a line of glue down the side, and
smushed them together. I overlapped each stone only once, so the sides
would all be the same. I wrapped it in a bungee cord for good measure,
but I bet clamps would be better.
Then I put dots of glue on the
top inner edge, and smushed the fifth stone on top. You use dots of
glue here so that water can drain through.
I let it dry for three
days, mostly because I didn't get around to moving it sooner.
I talked Tommy into moving it for me...that sucker was HEAVY! About two steps into the garden, it crumbled. Thankfully Tommy jumped out of the way and wasn't hurt.
So...definite project fail here. Planters made from stepping stones = NOT WORTH IT!