These are essentially a vanilla cupcake with fancy frosting, but they were light, fluffy, and delicious! I thought these would be the "wah-wah" of the three cupcakes, but many people told me they were their favorite! I guess you don't have to have fancy flavors to be good :)
- 1 box white cake mix
- Eggs (do what it says on the box)
- Oil (do what it says on the box)
- Water (do what it says on the box)
- 1 c unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 3 c confectioners sugar
- 2 T milk
- 1 T vanilla extract
- Blue and red food coloring
- Icing bag
- 2D tip
- Mix together the cake mix, eggs, oil, and water just like it says on the box.
- Fill cups and bake cupcakes exactly like it says on the box
- Let them cool
- Cream butter, milk, and vanilla extract
- Add confectioners sugar and whip until smooth
- Add more sugar or milk if needed to get desired consistency
- Divide the frosting, and make one purple and one blue
- Attach a 2D tip to your icing bag
- Glop some blue frosting in one side of the bag, and some purple frosting on the other side (it doesn't have to be perfect)
- Put little glops of frosting all over the top of your cupcakes, not leaving any space between them (this doesn't have to be perfect, either!) The blue and purple will blend nicely and make your cupcakes look like hydrangea blossoms!
- Serve on a pretty tray with a pretty label (it's all about the presentation!)
This recipe made about 12 regular and 24 mini cupcakes, and took about an hour of time in total (but I had to wash lots of dishes in between).
Don't be scared of icing bags! They really are quick and easy, and people think you have amazing talent!