Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Wedding Bouquets on a Budget

I've been dreaming about beautiful wedding bouquets since we got engaged.  Peonies, garden roses, dahlias, and carnations, all tied up into big fluffy gorgeousness....

Coral Bridal Bouquets

And then I was rudely awakened.  To have someone else make 7 bouquets, 10 boutonnieres, and two corsages costs anywhere between $600 and $1000!!!  Holy smokes!  When I did one friends entire wedding (including bouquets and centerpieces) for $700 or another friends bouquets and boutonnieres for $200, I knew I was saving them money, but honestly I had no idea.

DIY Blue and White Wedding Bouquet

So for the past few days, I've been doing some creative thinking and came up with a few options:
  1. Cough up the money and pay someone else to do them (pro: easy, con: expensive)
  2. Hire a florist to do only part of the order, and do the easy parts, like boutonnieres or bridesmaid bouquets, myself (pro: less expensive, con: more work for me)
  3. Do everything myself except the bridal bouquet (pro: less expensive, con: more work for me)
  4. Do all my own flowers (pro: cheap, cons: more work for me, bouquets aren't as pretty)

I've been researching prices and options at two of my favorite online flower shops, Potomac Floral and Fifty Flowers, and have come up with some ideas.

Billy balls and hypericum are pretty pricey, and when ordering online, you often have to order more than necessary.  Making these myself would actually cost more than hiring a florist, almost $200.

Billy ball and hypericum boutonnieres

Tommy suggested just doing a traditional white rose boutonniere.  If I ordered fancy roses online, I could do them for about $150*.  However, I think I'll just buy the roses from a local grocery store.  A dozen white roses should run no more than $20.  Bargain!
White Rose Boutonniere

Now what about the bridesmaids?  The big issue everyone has with me doing them myself is that they'll be too much work.  And yes, making bouquets from a variety of flowers, especially if those flowers have thorns, does take time.  However, bouquets made of all one thornless flower should cut down on the time dramatically.  It also happens that hydrangeas are a readily available summertime flower, and are also quite affordable!  One giant hydrangea blossom, a few stems of silver dollar eucalyptus, some floral tape and ribbon, and we're ready to go!  All for about $25* per bouquet.

White hydrangea bouquet

And finally, my bridal bouquet.  A super simple option would be to have a larger, multi-blossom version of the bridesmaids bouquets.  I could also coordinate with them by using coral pink hydrangea.  This would cost an extra $80*, but the added pop of color just might be worth it!
Coral hydrangea blossom

And finally, using spare bits and pieces of the boutonnieres and bouquets, I'd fashion our mothers coordinating wrist corsages.

I'm also still toying around with the idea of making the boutonnieres and corsages from fabric.  Then I could finish them up weeks before the wedding!


*FYI, the reason the DIY flowers are still a little pricey is because I'll have to have them shipped to me.  If I were tying the knot at home, I'd use my local place and avoid all those shipping costs!


So chime in!  Which option would you choose?  Do you regret spending hundreds of dollars on a wedding item that lasts a day, or did you regret skimping on florals that live on through beautiful photos?

I can't wait to share the results soon!

In the end, I made all the bouquets and boutonnieres myself, but using silk flowers.  That way, I got everything finished weeks ahead of time, and for a fraction of the cost!


2 comments:

  1. My new sister-in-law made all of the centerpieces and bouquets for their wedding... and SURPRISE... there were NO FLOWERS in them. It definitely wouldn't have worked at my wedding and I'm not sure that it would work at yours either, BUT, check out my cover photo on FB, you'll see a pic of two of the bouquets. I think it worked b/c it was a winter wedding... but, going that route, she was able to make them weeks ahead of time. Perhaps there is a less perishable alternative for you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips and advice.I'll take note of that.Thanks for sharing and keep posting for more.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!