Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Master Bedroom Update

When we combined households after our wedding, our bedroom was a mash-up.  His bed, my comforter, and we each had our own bedside tables and lamps.  It wasn't pretty.  This was going to be a "scary space" posting in October, but I had such a hard time finding all the goods that it just didn't happen.

{soooo, "before" photos were supposed to go here, but I lost them!  Here's what the photo would have been: faded World Market suzani print quilt, orange coral lamp, dusty black lamp, with the dog sleeping in the middle of the bed}

"before" mood board...a little too much "Bonnie" for a shared bedroom

We put our wedding gifts (and giftcards) to good use, and added white sheets and a puffy duvet with a white cover.  It immediately added sophistication to the space.  Although you can't see it, we also added our awesome new non-slip mattress pad.  Everything together made for a serious upgrade in comfort!  So much so that we now call our bed "the cloud".  {Thank you for the gifts!!!}



We trained Lucky dog to quit sleeping in our bed, which adds to both comfort and cleanliness (though I do miss the snuggling).  Nothing like fresh white bedding to get you out of a bad habit!

Next up, the lamps.  Mine was cute but not his style, his was in need of TLC (it had never been dusted), plus they didn't match each other or the furniture.

I scoured Joss & Main, One Kings Lane, Crate and Barrel, HomeGoods, Kirklands, CB2, West Elm, Pottery Barn, Costco, and Ballard Designs, and nothing seemed quite right.  I finally found the perfect lamps while wandering around Target.  They sell mix-and-match lamps and bases, so I could pick out exactly what I wanted.

Not too formal, not too casual, not wood, not in a color, and it had to look sophisticated.  For $28 these definitely did the trick.  Another $25 for wavy barrel shades (I liked the texture), and PRESTO!




Seriously, who knew lamps had such variety?  And could be so expensive!  I'm sooo glad Target had just what I wanted at an acceptable price point.

My next goal in this room is to finish unpacking boxes and to add some art and photos so it won't look so boring.



Have you made any changes to your bedroom as you get older?  How do you make a space sophisticated without being too boring?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!